Viking Elementary School
Named a Minnesota School of Excellence, Viking Elementary staff work hard for each and every student. We provide opportunities for young learners to problem solve, explore new interests, and establish and maintain friendships in a respectful, nurturing environment. The Leader in Me® platform provides a foundation for continual growth and leadership development.
- Small class sizes create an engaging, personalized experience.
- Students expand their creative interests with our licensed art, music, physical education, and library teachers.
- Title 1 schoolwide program addresses educational needs of all children with strategies for improving academic proficiency.
- Club Vikes, a before and after school program, offers a place for students to complete homework, read, craft, and play.
- The Viking Student Success Program helps students reach their potential by offering additional learning opportunities.
I am honored to be Principal of Viking Elementary School. Pelican Rapids is a wonderful community with great support for the school district. Viking Elementary has an outstanding staff that works hard for each and every student. Our school provides opportunities for young learners to problem-solve, explore new interests, and establish and maintain friendships in a respectful environment. The Leader in Me® platform provides a foundation for on-going growth and ownership for our students and staff.
The 2020-21 school year will not be easily forgotten with the many changes that we’ve all had to make in response to the pandemic. Our number one goal continues to be to keep students and staff safe while providing a supportive learning environment. We are committed to continuing with the learning practices which enabled Viking Elementary to be named a Minnesota School of Excellence (SOE) in the 2019-20 school year.
Other strengths of Viking Elementary highlighted by the SOE process include strong:
- student and staff leadership through the Viking Leadership and Student Lighthouse Teams
- belief in alignment between teaching and administrative practices and school values
- teacher professional development model based on internal peer-to-peer learning and designed to help teachers better serve the needs of English Language Learners and low-income student groups.
If you are interested in more information about Viking Elementary School please feel free to contact me. GO VIKINGS!
"My family and I have enjoyed the Pelican Rapids community and everything that it has to offer. Both of our children have had opportunities to be very active in a wide range of school activities and have truly enjoyed their experiences at Viking Elementary and the Pelican Rapids High School."
Derrick Nelson, Viking Elementary Principal/Activities Director, firstname.lastname@example.org 218.863.5910